I am excited to share a new loaded scrambled egg recipe with you today!
I made it a couple days ago and it’s been one of my go-to breakfast dishes for a while now.
But when I went to link up to my last protein power breakfast scramble recipe, I realized I used alot of the same ingredients! What?! It’s true.
I started using turmeric at the beginning of this year (and totally I spilled the jar all over the floor) when I found out that it was a great natural anti-inflammatory. In multiple studies, Curcumin, which gives turmeric it’s yellow-orange pigment, has been shown to have similar anti-inflammatory effects to that of over-the-counter anti-inflammatories. Turmeric is also can improve liver function, helping with the detoxifying process [source]. With all my stomach crazies, I am all for finding foods that can take the place of harsh medications – i.e. ibuprofen on my tum.
Initially, I tried turmeric in just a brown rice skillet with veggies. I soon graduated to adding turmeric to my smoothie one day, and decided it needed to happen more often. If I have a tough lifting session, I’ll have a smoothie with a little turmeric to help soothe my muscles.
Turmeric tea has also helped my achy gut on more than one occasion. Just bring some almond milk to a boil, added a ginger tea bag, a teaspoon of turmeric, a little cinnamon and some honey. A warm cup filled with so many good things.
And then I figured that since I loved it so much, I might as well add it to my eggs.
It’s a perfect match.
This little egg scramble is a great post workout or just everyday breakfast. You are getting lots of protein from the eggs, healthy fats from the yolks (EAT THEM!) and avocado, and all the superfood benefits from sweet potatoes and kale. And then of course, you get the benefits and wonderful taste of turmeric.
LOADED SCRAMBLED EGGS WITH TURMERIC
- 3 eggs (organic or fresh from the farm <–my fav)
- 1-2 leaves of dinosaur/lactino kale, stems removed and chopped
- 1/4 – 1/2 cup roasted sweet potato cubes
- 1/2 avocado, chopped
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1-2 tsp turmeric
- salt + pepper to taste
- nutritional yeast + kimchi + banana optional
- If roasting sweet potatoes, scrub clean, cut into cubes, season with: coconut oil, salt, pepper, red pepper flakes, cinnamon/pumpkin pie spice, and garlic powder. Place in a 400 degree oven and roast for 15-20 minute or until soft.
** I roast my on the weekend and just keep in a tupperware in the fridge and use throughout the week.
- Warm pan over medium heat and add coconut oil. While pan is heating, clean and chop kale.
- Add kale to warmed pan and let whilt. After 1-2 minutes, add roasted sweet potatoes to warm through.
- Crack all three eggs directly in the pan and season with salt, pepper and turmeric. Let eggs sit a minute while you chop the avocado.
- Add the avocado to the pan and fold/stir eggs. Cook maybe 5 minutes or so, depending on how ‘done’ you like your eggs. I like mine a little more soft, as opposed to ‘well done.’
- Once eggs are cooked, turn onto a pan. Add kimchi, nutritional yeast, or banana if you like. Honey would also taste good with these!
I am finally getting an anti-biotic today after 6 weeks of coughing. If you follow on Instagram (you should), you might have seen all the things I am taking to help my cough, a.k.a. The Black Lung! As much as I DO NOT want to take anti-biotics, I am hoping they help.
So, tell me, have you tried turmeric? Any natural anti-inflammatory foods you swear by?