i am one of those people that usually love to get up early, get my day started (either work or my to-do list) and get done in time to just relax and enjoy the evening. even though i was on vaca all week, i thought i’d try to get my body back into the swing of things by waking up around the same time i normally wake up for work. not only would it get my body back into ‘work mode,’ but i hoped i could cross a few more things off my to-do list.
that plan didn’t exactly work out. all week, my alarm went off and i hit snooze one too many times. i loved being warm, under the covers in my comfy bed. i mean, it is vacation week, which means sleeping in is allowed. it’s that overachiever in me that has a tough time actually relaxing. so, i stayed in bed 30-40 minutes after my alarm buzzed at me. not too bad.
now, i also love a slow morning – normally saturdays. it usually consists of a cup of warm lemon water, a cooking show or two on food network (love pioneer woman, even though i can’t really cook anything she makes, as it is laden with butter, cream, and gluten), breakfast and a workout.
this morning was a kind of slow morning, but just a little different. i drank up my warm lemon water, studied a bit in genesis, caught up on the today show as i cleaned the kitchen a bit, and tried to figure out breakfast.
i don’t remember the reason why now, but last night, i decided against a protein green juice smoothie for breakfast.
usually, i like to start mornings off with a liquid and then go for something more hearty. this morning was different. i was craving a sweet potato and since i got some great sausage on sale from earthfare this week, i knew a hash was just the ticket. and because i apparently can’t have a meal with a leafy green, i threw in some kale.
(also, earthfare had the most beautiful kale and swiss chard this week too!)
this is a super easy, tasty and filling hash. fats, protein, carbs. <– just learned about these yesterday as i was studying. it’s also good multitasking dish. i cleaned the kitchen while this was cooking. you can just add the ingredients and let it sit and cook for a bit. it’s actually a great because you can cook breakfast and cross things off your to-do list!
paleo breakfast hash
1 big serving
+ 1 medium sweet potato
+ 1/4 of a small sweet onion, chopped
+ 1/4 cup ground italian sausage
+ 1 cup dinosaur kale, also called lactino kale. (dino kale sounds way cooler)
+ 1 tbsp unrefined coconut oil
+ 2 tsp cinnamon
+ salt, pepper, paprika to taste
+ filtered water
1. chop sweet potato into small cubes. place in a bowl and cover with water for 10-15 minutes. soaking the sweet potato draws out some of the starch and makes them crisp when cooked. meanwhile, chop onion and kale, if needed. i had a leftover bag of chopped kale from trader joe’s.
2. after 10-15 minutes, drain almost all water from sweet potatoes. heat your coconut oil over medium heat and add chopped onion. cook onion a few minutes, until translucent. then add sweet potatoes and about 1-2 tbsp water to the pan and cover. the water steams the potatoes. cook 5-7 minutes
3. check on the potatoes + onion every so often. once potatoes are tender, add kale to the pan, season, add another tablespoon of water to the pan. cover and let kale cook and wilt about 2-3 minutes.
4. remove lid and add sausage. allow sausage to cook until done and potatoes to crisp. if potatoes stick to the pan, just add a bit of water and scrape the tasty bits off the bottom of the pan.
5. once sausage is cooked and potatoes are crisp, remove from pan and enjoy.
this would taste AMAZINGLY great with a fresh-from-the-farm runny egg, so feel free to add one if you want to up your protein.
post hash consumption, i did day 2 of the 10 day yoga challenge: abs. it was all plank work!! to get in on the action, click here.
i am FINALLY going to work on my meal prep + meal list for the next two weeks, some blog housekeeping (i.e. the recipe page), study, and go for a short workout…and probably check my work email. my phone is dinging like crazy.
p.s. how do you do mornings? slow, starting with a workout, a big breakfast?