This Baby Got Back Booty Workout is inspired by one of my favorite songs. This workout will help build a strong butt and delivers a good burn.
Baby Got Back Booty Workout with Finisher
So, we got some snow over here. I’m kind of over it and ready for warm weather, and the beach. Anyone else? Working from home means no walking desk walk today! I’ll have to do this Baby Got Back Booty Workout to make up for it!
This is the first time in my life when I’ve had a job that requires me to sit for most of the day. I’ve been in retail (clothing and Starbucks) in the past, either full time or part time, so at some point in my day, aside from working out, I was moving quite a bit. My office recently moved and there is a walking desk and space to stand while working. I love it, but lately my left hip flexors (tensor facsia latae + it band <– whipping out the actual muscles. pretty much have them all memorized. one step closer to my cpt cred!) has been screaming at me. Since I’ve got lengthened, underactive glutes. I need to strengthen them to help with my aches, along with stretching my shortened, overactive muscles (TFL, IT band, and adductors).
Then I read this awesome post about the importance of strengthening your glutes, and I was even more inspired to create this baby got back booty workout.
These are some of my favorite exercises. It’s definitely more strength work than cardio, but it works. I need to remind myself to switch it up every now and then and not just do the cardio/high intensity stuff. Make sure to do a short cardio warm-up (5-10 minutes) or dynamic stretching (stretching that mimics the exercises in the workout – some squats/squat jumps/lunge pulses).
- Interval Timer (I don’t go anywhere without my MiniMax)
- Set of Dumbbells
- Medicine Ball
Set timer for :50 sec work | :10 sec rest | 10 rounds | 2 sets. You can rest up to 1 min between sets. Once you are finished, complete the Finisher as quickly as you can, with as little rest as possible.
Since I am doing the #ffburpee challenge, I did 50 burpees throughout the workout, in sets of 10. If you want an extra cardio burst, throw in some burpees. Learn to love them, or you could do some squat jumps or box jumps.
- CURTSY LUNGE: Stand upright with feet shoulder width apart, pelvis slightly tucked. Bend left knee as right leg lunges behind the left leg, like doing a curtsy. Drive through heel to stand, squeezing glute at the top.
- SL ROMANIAN DEADLIFT: With weight in heel with a slight bend in the knee, glutes squeezed, pelvis slightly tucked, shoulders back and down. Weight in left hand, balance on right leg. Hinge at hip, bracing core to bring back parallel to the ground. Keep core tight and squeeze glutes as you come back to stand.
- BOX CROSSOVER: Stand next to the box so it is on your right side. Cross the left leg over and step up onto the box, driving through heel and squeezing glute. Bring right leg over and step to the other side of the box. Repeat.
- HIP BRIDGE ON MEDICINE BALL: Lay on back, knees bent, both feet, arms down at your side. Press through heels and squeeze glutes and hamstrings as you bring your hips off the ground (maintain a diagonal line, rather than hyperextend back). Hold 1 – 2 seconds and return to start.
- SPRINTER: Balance on one foot, stay low in an athletic stance and perform 4 sprinters. Your elevated leg will move back and forth, along with arms, while standing leg remains in squat position. Repeat.
- SL STEP UP WITH TWIST: In front of a box, step up with the right leg, driving through the heel and squeezing glute at the top. All right leg straightens, drive left knee up and twist towards the left side. Step down and repeat on the other side.
- TOUCH DOWN SQUAT JUMPS: Standing upright, jump down into a squat, keeping chest lifting, and touch ground with one hand. Drive through heels explosively to stand up and repeat.
- SQUAT W/SIDE KICK: Stand upright with shoulders back and down, pelvis tucked, glutes tight, feet hip width apart. Drive through heels, sit butt back and lower into a squat. Drive through heels to stand nearly all the way and lift right leg to kick out to the side, balancing on the left leg. Place right leg back on ground and repeat.
- HIP BRIDGE W/THREAD THRU: Lay on back, knees bent, one foot on the ground and one in the air, arms down at your side. Lift left leg in the air. Press through heel and squeeze glutes and hamstrings as you bring your hips off the ground (maintain a diagonal line, rather than hyperextend back). Take elevated leg and thread it underneath the right knee – into the little triangle shape – hold 1 – 2 seconds, then return to the air and lower all the way back down.
- SQUAT W/BACK KICK: Stand upright with shoulders back and down, pelvis tucked, glutes tight, feet hip width apart. Drive through heels, sit butt back and lower into a squat. Drive through heels to stand nearly all the way and lift right leg to kick behind you, squeezing glute tight. Lower right leg and squat down again.
Yoga is on deck for today. And the next move in the #powerplateschallenge. And maybe some burpees.
SO, TELL ME:
What are you favorite butt exercises?