it’s hard to believe there was once a time when i didn’t eat eggs.
there’s been multiple times actually.
back when i was a punk jr. higher/high schooler, i decided i hated eggs.
for no apparent reason, at least that i can remember.
i think it was sparked by a not so tasty hard boiled egg.
with a super dry and gross yolk.
i also decided to hate spaghetti and hot dogs. weird.
then on my elimination diet, i was forced to go 6 months without eggs.
i liked them at this point and was pretty disappointed when i had to cut them out.
then when i was able to eat them. i feel in love again.
eggs are pretty awesome.
one egg contains 6 g of protein. plus, eggs are a complete protein.
which means they contain all 9 essential amino acids. essential amino acids are those that the body must obtain from food sources. and those yolks, eat them. not only are they so delicious, but they contain omega-3’s and b vitamin choline.
full of all kinds of good things.
eggs are one of my favorite post-workout foods. i love pairing them with sweet potatoes or rice. get my 4-to-1 carb | protein ratio. i also love the whites in my oatmeal, the whole egg baked in an avocado, and even on my stir-fry.
basically i love eggs.
today’s recipe was one my post-workout meals last week. it’s packed with protein and carbs and fats and tasty things. i added what i could find in my fridge and it turned out wonderfully.
protein power breakfast skillet
* 2 whole eggs + 1 egg white
* 1/4 cup black beans
* 3/4 – 1 cup spinach
* 1/4 cup green peas
* 1/2 cup roasted sweet potatoes **
* 1/2 avocado
* 1 tbsp coconut oil
* 1/2 banana
* salt, pepper, garlic salt
* nutritional yeast, for the top
* honey, optional
* kimchi, optional **
1. heat skillet with coconut oil. add peas (mine were frozen), sweet potatoes, spinach and black beans. cook a few minutes.
2. add eggs directly to the skillet and season with salt and pepper. cook slowly over medium heat.
3. dice the avocado and add when eggs are nearly cooked. i like my eggs slightly runny, rather than cooked all the way. just cook until your desired donenes…is that a word?
4. add eggs to the plate. top with chopped banana and nutritional yeast. add a drizzle of honey and a few scoops of kimchi, if desired.
** to roast sweet potatoes, scrub potatoes under water and dry. chop into cubes and place on a cookie sheet. preheat oven to 400-425 degrees. season with salt, pepper, garlic powder, chili powder, paprika, and cinnamon. drizzle with olive oil and toss. roast in oven 20-25 minutes (depending on your oven), until the house smells like fall and potatoes are browned and soft.
think the bananas and honey on eggs is cra cra?!
well, you are cra.
for dogging before you try it.
it’s savory and sweet.
it’s so freaking good.
my favorite way to eat eggs.
and the kimchi. yes. i am obsessed.
try this out. see how you like it.
p.s. what is your favorite way to eat eggs?
want more burpees for breakfast? find me on facebook. instagram. twitter. bloglovin. and pinterest.