up until about 2 years ago, i hated sweet potatoes.
read: i had only tried super sweet sweet potato casserole and hated it.
really, i had no idea what a sweet potato was supposed to taste like. these days, sweet potatoes are on my list of top 5 favorite foods. maybe even top 3. i love them steamed, juiced, roasted in cubes, cut into fries or chips, mixed in a smoothie, added to hummus and even made into a soup!
jeez, i sound like forrest gump talking about shrimp from last week’s recipe!
today, i’m giving you not one, but 2 variations on my sweet potato soup. if you remember my roasted double squash and sweet potato soup, this is pretty similar. i love making the base and then adding different ingredients each time i have a bowl.
i usually stock up on sweet potatoes (thank you sam’s club for giving me 3lbs for $3!), make a batch, and freeze bags. this soup is one of my go-to meals for those days i just don’t feel like cooking or don’t have enough time to make lunch for work the next day.
like many of my recipes, i am a little loosey-goosey with my measurements. usually my best recipes come from just adding stuff to a pan. as you will see from last night’s dinner – which will be up in tomorrow’s post. this is a pretty easy recipe for the soup, with only 3 main ingredients. and you season to your liking.
simple. but great. my favorite kind of recipe.
these two recipes have been my favorite combinations so far. feel free to experiment and add your favorite things to make the soup your own. i’ve tried this with just pecans, sometimes pumpkin seeds. i’ve used turkey for my protein or a different kind of bean. go crazy – but make sure to let me know what combos work so i can try it myself!
sweet potato soup
servings: 3-4 depending on bowl size + consistency
+ 2-4 sweet potatoes, cleaned
+ 1/2 of 1 can light coconut milk (can sub about 1 cup of other non-dairy milk)
+ 1-2 cups chicken or vegetable broth
+ 1 tbsp coconut oil
+ spices: cinnamon, nutmeg, garlic powder, onion powder, chili powder, paprika, salt, pepper
1. scrub potatoes with dish brush. dry, poke with a fork and wrap in foil. add to 400 degree oven and cook for 25-30 minutes or until soft. **alternately, you can cut into cubes, toss in oil, season and roast until soft. just like in this recipe.
2. unwrap potatoes to let cool. once cool, remove skin and place orange flesh in a food processor or vitamix. add coconut milk and broth. start to process. at this point, you can make the call on the consistency of the soup. add more broth + coconut milk if you like it more ‘soupy’ or hold off if you like a mashed potato like soup. i’m somewhere in the middle.
3. once soup is desired consistency, add coconut oil and season to taste. i am a HUGE fan of cinnamon. and i also like a hint of spice. again, your call.
4. add to pot and warm on low or place portion sizes in freezer bags and freeze.
sweet potato soup with chicken sausage, swiss chard, kimchi, sesame seeds
1. take a bag of soup out of the freezer the night before you plan to eat it. or just before you decide to eat it (if you are like me!) and run it under warm water/submerge in a bowl of warm water, to thaw.
2. add cooked chicken sausage and ribboned swiss chard to bowl (if microwaving) or pot and warm soup.
3. once soup is warm, top with kimchi and black sesame seeds.
sweet potato soup with white beans, peas, spinach, yogurt, and chia seeds
1. follow step 1 from above.
2. add a little bit of coconut oil to the pot. add frozen peas and handful of spinach and cook until spinach is wilted. add soup and white beans and cook until warm.
3. once soup is warm, add to bowl and top with goat milk yogurt (if desired) and a sprinkling of chia seeds.
so, my CSA FINALLY starts on thursday. they’ve been behind due to a frost and lack on interns. i think this week is finally the week. i’m so excited for local, fresh, pesticide free veggies + fruit. just wait- lots of recipes to come!
p.s. do you like sweet potatoes? what is your favorite way to eat them?
want more burpees for breakfast?
find me on facebook. instagram. twitter. bloglovin. and pinterest.