friday is here!
anyone else excited?!
so, yesterday, i canceled my gym membership. it was quick and painless. i had some time to kill before my class, so decided to run to TJ Maxx to grab a pack of socks. sometimes, shopping in TJ Maxx can be as bad as target, if you know what i mean. i decided i’d check out some workout clothes.
i grabbed a few things, but i wasn’t really expected any of things to fit or that i would like them enough to want to purchase. why is it whenever i don’t want to buy anything – i find so many things! i wanted almost everything i brought into the fitting room.
and i felt like everything looked good. i ended up leaving with a little more than socks – and only 1 thing with a little pink border. i love pink and i have WAY TOO MANY workout clothes that are pink.
speaking of everything looking good, i was just having an all around good body day yesterday afternoon. i felt super great in my workout outfit and really strong during class. love those days!
today, i’ve got a back | bicep | cardio workout for you. this morning i taught bootcamp and it was my day to come up with a back | bicep | cardio workout. this is not the workout i made up for class, but it does have a few of the same exercises.
for this workout, you’ll need at least 1 set of dumbbells at mid-weight (i used 8lbs). if you have two, all the better for the bicep curls (i used 15lbs). this would be a great circuit for the gym. you’ll also need a stability ball and enough space to do a little carioca.
remember carioca from middle school gym class?!! i’m bringing it back!
we’ve got some compound exercises in the workout today. you’ll be working that core, glutes, hamstrings and quads, in addition to your back | biceps.
- keep core and glutes tight throughout all exercises. keep your mind on the muscle you are working, especially those biceps!
- back extensions modification: if you do not have a stability ball, you can do supermans (or superwomans!)
- romanian deadlift to reverse fly: with a slight bend in your knees, shoulders back and down, weights held out in front of you, hinge at your hips and lower the weights straight down in front of you. back should be completely flat and parallel to the floor (keep those lower abs TIGHT). when back is parallel to the ground, use shoulder blades to ‘fly’ the weights back – arms should be straight or have a slight bend. pretend there is a cup or card in between your shoulder blades and you are trying to squeeze it. lower weights back in front of you and come up out of the deadlift, squeezing the glutes and lower abs on the way up. repeat.
- high low jabs
- carioca: make sure to be light on your toes and drive that knee up
- manmakers: rather than a clean and press, when coming up out of the burpee, stand and perform a bicep curl
- battles ropes: stay low. those quads and glutes should be on fiiiiyyyaaa by now!
- if you want to do the finisher, but don’t have access to battle ropes, you should sub a sumo squat hold with front jabs (hold 3-5lb dumbbells for advanced) for the battle ropes – 10 reps each arm. get loooooowwww in that squat.
so glad for friday. it’s been a good week – more relaxing. got a little reading done. i’m planning on finally watching divergent tonight and figuring out a fun circuit for bootcamp tomorrow – my first saturday workout. want it to be fun, but tough!
happy fit friday!!!