Get ready for an All About That Bass inspired workout. This HIIT workout is filled with butt focused moves to get your booty working!
All About That Bass Workout
Happy Fit Friday!!!!
I’ve mentioned quite a few times that I’m a big Meghan Trainor fan. All About That Bass is my JAM.
Recently, a co-worker asked me for some tips on how to fix his sway back, aka. anterior pelvis tilt or lordosis, for us personal trainers. Anterior pelvic tilt is a result of weakened glutes (your booty), hamstrings, and rectus abdominus muscles and overactive hip flexors and erector spinae. This causes an inward curvature of the lower back, which makes that booty a bit more prominent.
[bctt tweet=”All About That Bass Booty Workout! #sweatpink @fitapproach #bass” username=”burpees4bfast”]
All about that bass.
So, that got me thinking about tips for help ATP (my biggest tip was working on plank) and some butt exercises. Since the gluteus maximus is a weakened or lengthened muscle, it is the muscle that we want to strengthen.
Stretch tight, strengthen weak.
The gluteus maximus is the largest muscle in the body. It’s main muscle actions are to concentrically accelerate hip extension and external rotation. It is extremely important in helping maintain posture and it is part of your movement core musculature. Your booty also has two other ‘gluteal’ muscles, the gluteus minimus and gluteus medius. This workout will work all three muscles!
Now, I planned on trying out this workout this week, but with being sick, I only got to workout on Monday this week. It was a great kettlebell workout, which I’ll share soon, so stay tuned. So, unfortunately, I can’t offer insight on the workout. However, I will be doing it after bootcamp this morning, so check out social media to find out how it goes!
- Interval Timer (I don’t go anywhere without my MiniMax)
- Set of mid-heavy dumbbells
Set up timer for :30 sec BUTT exercise | :10 sec rest | :20 sec CARDIO exercise | 18 rounds
Set up timer. Complete Booty exercise (orange blocks) for :30 sec. Rest :10 sec when timer beeps. Then move to the cardio exercise (orange lettering). Move through all 6 moves, pausing timer to rest ~30 sec, in between sets. Complete 3 sets of all 6 moves.
If you don’t have an interval timer that allows for 3 intervals, just set your timer for 18 rounds of :30 sec | :30 sec. Keep an eye on your timer for that :10 sec rest break. You can sub a kettlebell in place of dumbbell.
Stay on the same leg, PER ROUND for even more of a booty burn!
- WEIGHTED CURTSY LUNGE: Stand upright with feet shoulder width apart, pelvis slightly tucked. Bend left knee and right leg lunges behind the left leg, like doing a curtsy. Drive through heel to stand.
- SKATERS: Coming into an athletic stance, ball at chest, jump from right to left, landing in heel. Squeeze glutes and inner thighs. Once you get a rhythm down, try to pick up the pace.
- SL RDL: Pick a leg to start with, put weight in heel with a slight bend in the knee, glute squeezed, pelvis slightly tucked, shoulders back and down. Weight should be in the same side hang. Hinge at hip, bracing core to bring back parallel to the ground (or until tension is felt in hamstring!). Keep core tight and squeeze glute as you come back to stand.
*** Optional: keep back leg tapped on the ground for extra support. See more tips for an effective hip hinge.
- SPLIT LUNGE JUMPS: Come into a lunge stance and lower, bending knees. Explode up out of the split lunge, switching legs, and landing back in a lunge position. Jump up again, this time, back into the squat jump.
- STANDING GLUTE SQUEEZE: Stand upright and place all weight in one leg. Place dumbbell over leg that will be elevated. Squeeze glute and slowly lift leg up, only a few inches. Return to start.
[bctt tweet=”Can’t wait to try this All About That Bass Butt Workout! #fitfluential @fitfluential” username=”burpees4bfast”]
I saw the video of the 11-year old girl dancing to All About That Bass yesterday. Girl killed it. I mean killlllled it.
So, tell me:
Do you like the song All About That Bass??
Are you a fan of booty workouts? Favorite moves?