I was given a sample of Manitoba Hemp Hearts to review thanks to my Ambassadorship with Sweat Pink. I was not compensated for this review. All opinions are my own.
Today, I’ve got a treat for you. A hemp + pumpkin protein bar to be exact. Plus, a little review.
First question: HAVE YOU EVER TRIED HEMP HEARTS?
Hopefully the answer is yes and you are more than impressed with how awesome they are. If not, let me tell you a few reasons why I love hemp hearts.
- Hemp Hearts are a stellar source of a complete vegetarian protein, containing 10g of protein per 30g serving.
- Hemp Hearts are an excellent source of healthy omega fats, containing 10g of protein per 30g serving.
- Hemp Hearts are easy to use, in a variety of ways and the best part is, they taste great. Slightly nutty.
My absolute favorite way to use hemp hearts is in a smoothie. I’ve mentioned before that I like a smoothie with a good serving protein and fat, so hemp hearts are a natural choice (hehe, catch the pun). But since, I’ve already shared quite a few smoothie recipes, I decided on a fall themed protein treat.
HEMP + PUMPKIN PROTEIN BARS
Now, let me just tell you, these bars were not easy to make. I reviewed a few different protein bar recipes to try and get an idea of how much of what ingredients to add. However, I had to tweak my measurements after each new ingredient addition or whizz in the food processor.
I am not a baker – unless I am following someone else’s recipe. I do not do well with measuring things. I like to dump ingredients in until it everything tastes good. For instance, I made two different types of protein balls a few weeks ago – one with protein powder and one with chia and hemp seeds. They both came out so tasty, but do I remember how I made them? Not so much.
But, in efforts to be a better blogger and be able to share a recipe without the measurements reading: add 10 sprinkles of this, what looks to be 1/4 cup of that…I took extra time to measure the ingredients for these protein bars. Because I love you.
HEMP + PUMPKIN PROTEIN BARS
- 1 cup dates
- 1/2 cup canned pumpkin (I like Trader Joe’s)
- 1/2 really ripe banana
- 1/4 cup Manitoba Hemp Hearts
- 1 1/2 cup rolled oats (GF)
- 1/2 cup walnuts*
- 1/2 cup raw pumpkin seeds
- 1 1/2 tablespoon chia seeds
- 1 Tablespoon Great Lakes Gelatin (could sub protein powder)
- 1 heaping Tablespoon pumpkin pie spie (I like Trader Joe’s Brand)
* use almonds if allergic to walnuts or sunflower seeds for a nut free option)
- Soak dates for up to 20 minutes. Now, my dates were not soaked, but were soft. I have a feeling the dates would pureed alot easier, if they were. So, I’ll let you decide how you want to start out.
- Combine dates, banana, and pumpkin in the food processor until smooth.
- Add gelatin, chia seeds, hemp hearts, and pumpkin spice. Process again.
- Next, add walnuts* (almonds or sunflower seeds) and pumpkin seeds. You know the drill.
- Finally, add the rolled oats and process until the mixture comes together.
- Press mixture into a glass pan or tupperware and refrigerate for a few hours. Then cut into bars. The bars will still be a bit sticky, however, if you freeze them they will firm up.
- Store in airtight tupperware or pyrex container for up to a week or in the freezer for…a while.
What’s better than a delicious recipe featuring the always delicious hemp hearts?
A 5LB BAG OF HEMP HEARTS FOR 1 LUCKY WINNER!
Gotta love a good giveaway. Here are the dets:
- To enter: Get creative in the kitchen, tag @manitobaharvest, #hemphearts, and #sweatpink in your Instagram and/or Twitter post and you’ll be automatically entered. And maybe sure to tag me so I can see your creations (@burpeesforbreakfast <– INSTAG or TWITTER –>@burpees4bfast)
Make sure to enter. You have until November 30th. AND try the protein bars. You’ll love them!
Have you tried HEMP HEARTS? What is your favorite way to enjoy them?!