This hypertrophy workout is focused on the back. With all the sitting we do at desk jobs, our posterior chain doesn’t always get the love it deserves. Get ready to work those muscles with this back focused hypertrophy workout!
5 MOVE BACK FOCUSED HYPERTROPHY WORKOUT
Happy Friday Friends!
Can you believe next Friday is Christmas?! I seriously need to finish up my shopping so I can get to wrapping. I ordered a few things yesterday morning and I’m hoping they arrive by tomorrow! I don’t know why shopping was tough this year, but it took me forever to decide what to get people, including The Hubs, who is usually pretty easy to shop for!
Speaking of The Hubs, he wasn’t too enthralled with taking the photos for this workout the other day, which is why the workout is a bit short. I tell you, finding someone to take blog photos can be tough! I’m planning on commissioning my sister to be my photographer for 2016 and continuing to shoot a month at a time. Oh goals for 2016 – have you made yours yet? I’m hoping to get mine done this weekend!
This workout is obviously best done in the gym, unless you are lucky enough to have a barbell, plates and a lat pull down machine in your house! This is a great workout to get started with becoming comfortable lifting heavy things, ladies. It’s also great for those that sit at a desk. Even though I work at home, I tend to spend a good deal of time at my laptop #gettingshitdone. Doing a back focused workout will help strengthen those weak muscles. Be sure to stretch the overactive pectoral muscles.
[bctt tweet=”Get ready to work that back with a new hypertrophy workout! #sweatpink @fitapproach”]
- Set of Dumbbells
- Lat Pull Down Machine
- Jump Rope
Complete moves in order, 8 – 10 reps for each strength move. Complete jump rope for 1 minute. Rest < :30 sec between moves. Rest ~1 minute between sets.
Remember, for hypertrophy, you want to go 75 – 85% of your max. You want the weight to be challenging, but not so heavy that you can’t complete a full 8 reps. For me, deadlifting 135# was just slightly too light; I know I could have gone a little heavier. If you are unsure, you can either find your 1 rep max or test out a few different weights and choose the best for you.
- SUMO DEADLIFT: Load the bar. Set up with legs wide, feet turned out. Shoulders should be back and down and pelvis slightly tucked. Reach down to grab the bar: calves should be touching the bar, shoulders back and down with a FLAT BACK – there should be a straight line from your shoulders to the bar, with your butt back. Drive through heels, spread the floor, engage lats, hinge at the hip and use inner thighs and butt as you rise up, squeezing glutes on the way up. Back should not hyperextend (arch), but there should be a straight line from your head to your feet. Reverse the movement on the way down.
* Back should not round at any point with this movement. Use the hips, legs and lats to help move the bar.
- LAT PULL DOWN: Position hands so they are on the curvature of the lat pull down bar. Pull bar down slightly as you sit on the bench. Roll shoulders down and back, engaging the core AND LATS. Pull the bar down, driving shoulder blades down (as if you are trying to put them in your back pocket) and let the bar come to the top of your chest. Return to start position and repeat.
* Avoid arching back or leaning back excessively with this movement.
- PUSH-UPS: See my tips for push-up mastery.
- REVERSE FLY: With shoulders back and down, pelvis slightly tucked to engage core and weights at side, hinge at the hip. Back should be flat, knees slightly bent and butt back. Weight should now be in front of you. Engage the lats and draw shoulder blades together on your back and you fly the weights to the side. Imagine you have a card or coin in between your shoulder blades that you are trying to squeeze together, at the top of the fly.
* Ensure the back is flat – look at yourself in the mirror. If neck tends to sink down or wobble, drop your weight. Focus on the upper back.
[bctt tweet=”Can’t wait to try this Back Focused Hypertrophy Workout! #liftheavy #sweatpink”]
OUTFIT: Tank | Leggings | Shoes
Linking up with Jill today!
What are you up to this weekend?! I’ve got a little bit of work to get ahead on because I’m planning on taking a couple days off next week for Christmas! Plus, finishing my holiday shopping! Be sure to check in on Monday to get more details on my partnership with Jill!
Have you done a hypertrophy workout before? Do you like lifting heavy things?