Fierce Female Friday is a brand new series on the blog where you get the chance to meet some amazingly Fierce (and Fit) Female Bloggers that are sharing what they do best. Tune in the last Friday of each month to learn more about these awesome ladies!
FIERCE FEMALE FRIDAY: BRAIDEN CHASTAIN
Happy Friday Friends!!
Today is the kickoff of a brand new series on the blog, Fierce Female Friday! I’m all about the alliteration, apparently. There are so many awesome bloggers out there and I wanted to feature some of the coolest ladies around (this is by no means an exhaustive list). You can expect to meet someone new the last Friday of each month, while receiving either, a new workout, fitness tip, recipe, wellness tip, girlboss tip and more!Brand new series: Fierce Female Friday! Meet @BraidenChastain & grab a new HIIT workout!… Click To Tweet
Before we get to an awesome workout, I want to introduce Braiden Chastain.
- TELL US WHO YOU ARE, WHAT YOU DO AND WHERE YOU ARE FROM: Hi! My name is Braiden and I am a certified personal trainer. I am a native from Phoenix, AZ. I blog about healthy living, do live personal training, as well as online coaching!
- WHAT IS YOUR MISSION? WHAT ARE YOU PASSIONATE ABOUT? WHAT GETS YOU OUT OF BED IN THE MORNING? My mission is to help busy, dream life-focused women find a balance of health in their lifestyle. It is so important that women understand that healthy living results in increased energy and passion that allows them to pursue their dreams! Sometimes, they just need helping figuring out what that looks like in their life, and that’s where I come in.
- WHAT IS THE BIGGEST CHALLENGE TO HEALTHY LIVING AND HOW DO YOU DEAL WITH IT? For me, the biggest challenges to healthy living are having a crazy amount of food allergies and having a positive mindset (which I think many of us women struggle with)! I have taken control of my diet and eat a rotating (switching up which foods I eat weekly) diet of whole foods. I also focus on building up my emotional health by surrounding myself with positivity, reading (whether that’s my bible or educational material), and speaking honest truth to myself. I know that without good emotional health, my life cannot move in the direction I desire.
- SHARE A RANDOM FACT WITH US THAT WE SHOULD KNOW ABOUT: A random fact about me is that I grew up as a competitive athlete. I started playing softball right before I turned 5 and started competitive, travel ball at 9 years old. I owe my discipline, focus, and dreams to that sport.
- FAVORITE PIECE OF FITNESS EQUIPMENT: I am IN LOVE with my BOSU ball and working my booty/legs…everyone wants a nice butt, right?!
Absolutely love everything this girl is sharing! I love seeing her mini videos on Instagram, especially with her pink Bosu (#twinning)! Now, without further ado, let’s get to her awesome workout!
MINI CIRCUIT WORKOUT: FULL BODY WORKOUT ON A TIME CRUNCH
Today, I want to share how to get the most bang for your buck in your workouts. I know that getting a workout into your crazy schedule is a challenge. But you don’t need a lot of time. If you only have 10-30 minutes at a time, you can get in an awesome workout!
It might be a surprise that you only need 10 minutes to get fit. It has been proven that 10 minute intervals of work is enough time to elevate your heart rate and start to work your muscles. For some of you, this means you can get 10 minutes in when you wake up and another 10 minutes in the evening, and still progress towards your fitness goals! Crazy, right?!
I include circuits and interval training into most, if not all, of my workouts and workout programs for my clients. The reason being is that interval training can be done in a short time period, it’s always challenging, and you can combine almost any exercise to create a full body workout! It’s time to let go of the idea that we have to work out for 1-2 hours a day for it to matter. Let’s work smarter, not HARDER. Who wants to waste time when you can torch calories in 10 or 20 minutes?! So, today I am sharing with you a brand new mini circuit training workout.Work smarter, not harder with this brand new HIIT workout featuring @BraidenChastain!… Click To Tweet
This workout is a toughie! It requires only one weight, but it will also be using your body weight as a form of resistance as well! And you can do this entire workout at home OR in the gym. So pick a weight (I used a 15 pound kettle bell, but use whatever weight you feel COMFORTABLE with) and let’s get started, friends!
Each move is going to be performed for 45 seconds and then you will rest for 15 seconds. As you are resting, set up for the next exercise by either moving your weight, or setting up a mat or towel for your hands. After each break, you will move on to the NEXT exercise. After you complete the 5 exercises, you have completed one MINI circuit. That should take about 5 minutes, maybe a little longer if you need to take extra time to catch your breath in between exercises.
Side note….I call this a MINI circuit because this circuit is only made up of 5 exercises. Normally, a full circuit might consist of 10-15 exercises that I only repeat 2-3 times. But, this workout is different! It is full body, bodyweight + dumbbell (or kettlebell if you are somewhat of a crossfit gal), and it is designed for those of you with LIMITED time. So, if this doesn’t look like your typical circuit workout, it’s because it’s not. This is a workout that lets you work it into your crazy life!
Below, I explain how to do each exercise. Or if you are visual, you can just watch the video. 😉
- Lunge Plank Jumps: Start in a plank and then step one foot forward. As if you are doing a mountain climber, you are going to “jump” back and switch, bringing your other foot forward. Your goal should be to get your foot forward towards your arm and shoulder, but be smart. Do as much as you can, but don’t injure yourself.
- Side to side hurdle hops: Place your weight as a center spot IN FRONT OF YOU. You are NOT jumping over your weight, but rather using it as a visual guide. You are going to hop side to side with your feet close together, sinking into your heels as you land, for 45 seconds.
- Burpee + Walking Side Push Up: Start with a burpee. Place your hands on the ground in front of you and jump your feet back. Then, staying in plank, “step” one hand out and pushup. Move hand back in, jump feet in, and jump up. Repeat and switch sides. Go back and forth between sides throughout the entire 45 seconds. If you need to modify, gently place knees on the ground and perform a modified push up.
- Bent Over Row + Jump Back: Grab your weight with both hands. Bend at your waist and (leading with your elbows out) bring the weight up towards your chest. Release the weight down (controlling the movement) and place the weight on the ground. Then place your hands on the ground, jump your feet back into plank, and then jump back in towards your hand. Repeat!
- One Hand Clean + Press+ Lunge Jump: Standing with slightly bent knees, grab your weight with one hand. Pull the weight up and when you reach just under your armpit do a slight squat with a hop and flip your wrist so the weight is facing upwards. Then, squat and do a one handed shoulder press. Squat again, and then jump into a lunge. The side you have weight on is the leg that should be forward. Jump in and bring the weight down. Switch sides and repeat. For a modified version, do not perform the lunge jump.
This mini circuit is designed to get your heart pumping! You should feel like your muscles are starting to be challenged and you are working cardio at the same time! I recommend repeating this circuit a minimum of two times in the same session. Repeat up to 5 times for a full workout! If you are in a time crunch, perform this circuit 2-3 times in the morning and then do some yoga and abs for 10 minutes in the evening. Also, make sure you warm up for at least 4-5 minutes before performing this workout! Use a timer of a HIIT app to keep track of your intervals, and you’re all set! Good luck with this mini circuit.
You can find me on my blog and social media channels:
Ya’ll, I’m super pumped about this series! There are some incredible ladies in line to share some amazing things.
What are you up to this weekend?! I have a coffee/biz chat date with a friend this morning. We’ve been trying to meet for months and now we finally get too! The Hubs and I are going on a date tonight or tomorrow, I’m filming a video or two and shooting some workout graphics on Saturday for the blog – it’s supposed to be 50 degrees! Plus, a few other random fun things!
Linking up with Jill today too!
Did you know you could get fit in 10 minutes?
Are you a fan of shorter workouts?
What are you up to this weekend?