Ready for an upper body superset workout to build strength and muscle definition, just in time for summer? Grab a few pieces of equipment and get ready for a sweaty, but fun workout. Check out all the details in the latest installment of this month’s Inspired To Be Fit.
18 Minute Upper Body Superset Workout
Hi Ya’ll! Happy Monday!
Welcome to Inspired To Be Fit ! This month, Jill and I are focusing on UPPER BODY Workouts, exercises and the like, as you know. Last week, I shared a super fun (and tough) Reverse Kettlebell Back Focused Workout, perfect for getting a sculpted back for summer. We talked about chest stretches for people that sit at a desk most of the day. And, I shared a super fun workout full of burpees! Today, you get an upper body superset workout. Since I’m focusing on the back and chest, it’s the perfect opportunity to do a superset workout.
Related: HIIT AMRAP Workout
[bctt tweet=”Brand new upper body superset workout #ontheblog! #fitfluential @fitfluential” username=”burpees4bfast”]
A superset is a type of system where 2 exercises are performed back to back, with little to no rest. There are two ways to structure your superset. The first is to perform exercises in the same muscle group back to back. So, a reverse fly, followed by a lat pull down, for example. This variation helps improve muscular endurance because of the high volume of work.
Related: Bodyworks & Abs Class Sneak Peek
The other variation, my personal favorite and the one used for this workout, is to perform exercises with opposing muscle groups, back to back. In this case, back and chest. By performing back to back, it allows for the opposing muscle group to rest. That’s what today’s upper body superset workout is all about!
- Interval Timer (I don’t go anywhere without my MiniMax)
- 1 – heavy kettlebell or dumbbell (or you can use a barbell)
- Slam Ball or Medicine Ball
- Stability Ball or Bench
- 1 set of dumbbells
Set your timer for :30 sec work | :30 sec work/rest | 18 rounds. You will complete 1A & 1B back to back, :30 seconds each, then rest :30 sec. Same with the 2A & 2B. The last move, 3A, will be done for 1 minute. Rest :30 seconds before going back to the first exercise. You will go through all the moves 4 times.
- Example: Chest Press = :30s, Pullover = :30s, REST :30s. Ball Slams = :30s, Deadlift = :30s, REST :30s. HRPU + Superman w/Row = 1 min, REST :30s. That is 1 round. Complete 4 rounds total. Take extra rest if needed.
No slam ball, sub out a medicine ball. Feel free to use a bench instead of a stability ball. No kettlebell, go heavy dumbbell(s) or barbell.
- CHEST PRESS: Grab dumbbells and roll back onto ball. Upper back/shoulders should be the only part of the body on the ball, hips lifted and knees bent at 90 degrees. Perform a chest press, pressing the dumbbells up and lowering back down.
- DUMBBELL PULLOVER: Hold dumbbells close together overhead. With only a slight bend in the elbows, lower arms behind your head. Engage lats to bring back to start.
- BALL SLAMS: Hold ball at chest height, feet spread slightly more than hip width apart, feet pointed out slightly. Raise ball overhead, keeping core engaged to avoid a hyperextended back. Throw or SLAM ball on the ground, using lats, upper back and chest muscles. Watch out if the ball bounces – don’t hit yourself in the face!
- KETTLEBELL DEADLIFT: Heavy bell between legs. Stick booty back and down, hinging at the hips slightly. Pick up bell with both hands, while keeping lats tight and driving through heels + squeezing glutes on the way up.
- HAND RELEASE PUSH-UPS + SUPERMAN w/ROW: Assume push-up position and slowly (SLOWLY) lower all the way to your belly. Stretch arms out in front of you. Actively engage core, glutes, and lower back muscles, as you bring your arms and legs off the ground, row arms, squeeze at the top, and return to start. ** This move is meant to be slow and controlled!
[bctt tweet=”Can’t wait to try this new upper body superset workout! #sweatpink @fitapproach” username=”burpees4bfast”]
Don’t forget to add your fitness related posts to the link-up below! Any fitness post – it doesn’t have to be on the specific topic! While we know nutrition plays a huge role in fitness and overall healthy living, Jill and I would like ITBF to focus totally on the fitness aspect of healthy living. We’d like this to be a go-to resource for workouts and fitness information, motivation and support. If you have a delicious recipe to share (and we know many of you do), come back on Friday and link-up with Living a Life of Fitness Health & Happiness.
[bctt tweet=”Join the party! Add your fitness posts to Inspired To Be Fit Link-up! @jillconyers @fitapproach” username=”burpees4bfast”]
Linking up for Wild Workout Wednesday!
Don’t forget to check out Jill’s workout!
So, the best part of the weekend was the fact that our new washer arrived yesterday morning and I got all our laundry done in a matter of a couple hours, without leaving my house. For over a year, we’ve been going to our parents house to do laundry. For a brief stint, we used the apartment washer/dryer upstairs, because it was vacant. We’ve been holding out, because it was a little expensive to put in the hook up. But, we were able to get it done a couple weeks ago, but the washer we had was broken! The Hubs’ parents randomly bought us one and it arrived yesterday! Guys, it was seriously so good to get stuff done while the laundry was getting done!
There were other good parts of the weekend as well, though. We had double parent dinner on Saturday, which was so fun! Our church put on this big block party/carnival on Sunday and it was super fun too. I spent most of the morning helping set up and volunteer. I did other random things as well like photographing blog workouts, doing a little shopping, planning meals for the week. I did make a batch of coconut flour waffles on Saturday to have for breakfast (and freeze for the week), but I accidentally put in baking soda AND baking powder – 1 TBSP each – and the waffles came out so salty and weird. I tried to salvage the batch, but I ended up throwing them away, sadly.
At the gym this morning, then work, then home! I’m loving this extra time these days! How was your weekend?!
So, tell me:
Do you enjoy superset workouts?
Ever made a yucky batch of waffles that just couldn’t be salvaged?
What did you do this weekend?!
- Instagram: burpeesforbreakfast
- Twitter: burpees4bfast
- Pinterest: burpees4bfast
- Bloglovin: Burpees for Breakfast
- Facebook: Burpees for Breakfast
[inlinkz_linkup id=633261 mode=1]