Trouble getting in your holiday workout? The holiday season is BUSY and it’s easy to get behind on workouts. Check out these 4 tips for getting in a holiday workout!
4 Ideas for Getting in a Holiday Workout
Let me preface this by saying a few things:
- You cannot ‘work off’ a month filled with over indulgence in holiday treats and eats.
- Holiday workouts should not be a punishment for one too many Christmas cookies
- You don’t have to workout over the holidays. Maybe it’s time for an end of year break?
Okay, now that we have that out of the way…let’s get to today’s post: Ideas for getting in a holiday workout!
I’ll be the first to admit that once it gets cold out and all the Christmas festivities start, I usually have a tough time sticking to workouts. I know this year will be different because I’ve changed my mindset regarding the types of workouts I do and off days. Just know, I’ve been in the ‘I-don’t-wanna-workout-I-just-wanna-stay-inside-watching-Hallmark-Christmas-movies-and-drink-hot-chocolate-instead.’ mood…many times. Plus, with all the holiday festivities, it can be tough to make time for a workout.
[bctt tweet=”4 Ideas for Getting in Your Holiday Workout #fitfluential @fitfluential” username=”burpees4bfast”]
I polled Instagram to see what people are struggling with in terms of fitness and nutrition. Turns out, holiday workouts were the theme. People said they didn’t have time, motivation or a space to workout in. That got me thinking of a few ideas for sticking with a holiday workout routine.
- SCHEDULE IT: Might be obvious, but schedule your workouts. Maybe this time of year is too busy to keep your normal workout schedule. Perhaps you need to cut it down to 3 days a week, instead of 5. Instead of 1 hour in the gym, you can only commit to 20 minutes. Normally workout in the morning and need to move it to right after work? Figure out your plan, schedule a time to workout and stick to it.
- BODYWEIGHT: As much as I love lifting heavy shit, sometimes a bodyweight workout does the trick. Just because you aren’t using heavy weights doesn’t mean you won’t get a good workout.
- TRAVEL FRIENDLY / MINIMAL EQUIPMENT: Many of you are traveling throughout the holiday season. Don’t be afraid to sneak in a sweat sesh at your relatives home or your hotel room. If you are driving, take a kettlebell, bosu ball or jump rope with you. If you are flying or have limited space, toss a jump rope and/or a resistance band (or 2) into your suitcase.
- DO SOMETHING YOU LOVE: Don’t have access to a gym to lift heavy shit? Try out a yoga video at home. Can’t pack a bunch of workout clothes? Take a long walk instead. The holiday season is a happy one, which means your workouts should be enjoyable. Take this month and find a form of fitness your body loves.
Since we can use a little accountability and creativity when it comes to holiday workouts, I decided the best thing to do would be a Holiday Workout series for December.
Every Monday in December, I’ll be posting a new workout on the blog. It will include the normal photo graphic, a print off and a video demo.
Workouts will be: travel friendly // bodyweight // cardio focused
Each week will focus on one of the 4 ideas outlined above, in more detail.
Feel free to share a photo of your workouts on Instagram using hashtag: #holidayhiit20
For extra (free!) workouts, sign up for my newsletter. SIGN UP HERE. or at the bottom of this post. Or at the top of the post. I’ll be sharing at least 1, if not more, additional workout each week for newsletter subscribers only. PLUS, some holiday healthy eating tips.
[bctt tweet=”Can’t wait for the Holiday HIIT in 20 Blog Series coming next week! #holidayhiit20 #sweatpink @fitapproach” username=”burpees4bfast”]
What are you weekend plans?! After weeks of saying we are going to do it, The Hubs and I are….going to paint the office! I’m not really looking forward to it, but I need it to be done for end of the year decorating purposes! I’m planning on a little blog work (including snapping photos for these workouts) and maybe Christmas shopping. We have our Annual Maggiano’s Birthday Dinner on Sunday with my family. My youngest brother turns 13 ON SUNDAY! WHAT!? It’s crazy! The twins turn 16 in March and Mad turns 25 in April. We are getting so old! Speaking of old, I turn 29 on Wednesday! Yay!
So, tell me:
What are your tips for getting in a holiday workout?
Favorite type of quickie workout?