With this SURGE Strength Complex AND Core Crusher Workout, not only are you working your entire body, but you also get a little extra core (and balance) work at the end. You are sure to leave this workout sweating!
SURGE Strength Complex w/Core Crusher
Through my partnership with Fit Approach, I get an the awesome opportunity to work with Hedstrom Fitness using the Surge! All opinions are my own.
Happy Friday, Y’all!
How the heck are you?! Ready for another dose of Friday Five with Hedstrom and Fit Approach?! I hope so because I’m digging this new workout.
Be sure to check out the past 2 workouts: Surge Pyramid Circuit and Surge Stacked Full Body Burner.
This workout today is a bit different. It’s a two parter, so you are technically getting 2 workouts in one post. You’re welcome. Alternatively, if you have time for a quickie workout, you can choose one or the other.
[bctt tweet=”Friday Five – SURGE® Strength Complex w/Core Crusher#sweatpink @fitapproach @hedstrom_fitness #HydroStrong” username=”burpees4bfast”]
Related: Friday 5 Core Workout
- The Surge*
You will complete the strength circuit first.
Aim to keep the Surge in your hands without dropping. Complete 2 reps of each move, back to back. Then move to 4 reps, 8 reps, 12 reps, then back down the ladder – 8, 4, 2 reps. Ex: 2 reps deadlift, 2 reps shoulder press, 2 reps side lunge (R). Then 4 reps deadlift, 4 reps shoulder press, 2 reps side lunge (R). Fore the 12th rep, complete 6 side lunges on each side.
Complete 8 reps of both moves, on each side, for 3 rounds. Rest as little as possible.
If you don’t have a Surge YET (use code: SPHF25 for 25% off), you can use a barbell or dumbbells or kettelbell(s)…or even a sandbag! You have options!!
Disclaimer: While I am a personal trainer and group fitness instructor, I am not YOUR personal trainer or group fitness instructor. I stand behind the workouts I share on the blog. Please be mindful of the exercises and workouts you perform. Work smart and safely, and when in doubt please consult your physician.
- CONVENTIONAL: Place Surge on the ground in front of you. With shoulders back and down, core tight, pelvis slightly tucked and knees slightly bent, hinge at your hip to grab the Surge from the ground with an overhand grip. Drive through the heels and squeeze the glutes as you stand, snap the hips and end in a standing plank position. Repeat.
- ROMANIAN: With Surge in hand with a neutral or overhand grip. Feet hip width apart. Shoulders back and down (think putting them in your back pocket) and lats engaged. Pelvis slightly tucked and core muscles engaged (imagine I’m coming to punch you in the gut). Knees slightly bent. You will hinge at the hips, keeping knees slightly bent and back as flat as possible. As you hinge, your butt is going to go back. When you rise, drive through your heels and squeeze the glutes and hammy’s to stand.
- SHOULDER RAISES: Hold the Surge with an overhead grip, in front of you. With shoulders back and down, core tight, pelvis slightly tucked and knees slightly bent. Engage the core and shoulders to bring the Surge up in front of you, stopping at shoulder height (parallel to the ground).
- SIDE LUNGE w/OVERHEAD EXTENSION: Hold the Surge with neutral grip (palms facing each other) at chest height. With shoulders back and down, core tight, pelvis slightly tucked and knees slightly bent. Press the Surge overhead and move left foot out parallel to the right and sit butt back to perform a side lunge. Repeat.
- BICYCLE CRUNCHES: With Surge in hand, lay on back, with pelvis slightly tucked and lower back pressed firmly to the ground. Knees should be bent at 90 degrees and quads stacked over hips. Keep the 90 degree angle at the hip, Surge perpendicular to the knees. As the left leg lowers to the ground, twist the Surge so it is stacked just on top of the left leg, parallel to the leg. Twist it back to the starting position and bring the left leg back to 90 degrees. Repeat on the left side. R + L = 1 rep.
- SINGLE LEG ROMANIAN DEADLIFT: With Surge in hand with a neutral grip, weight in heel with a slight bend in the knee, glutes squeezed, pelvis slightly tucked, shoulders back and down. Balance on right leg, hinge at hip, bracing core, keeping back flat. Keep core tight and squeeze glutes as you come back to stand and press the Surge overhead. Repeat. R + L = 1 rep.
[bctt tweet=”Can’t wait to try this new Surge Strength Complex & Core Crusher! #BuildYourBestBody #sweatpink @fitapproach ” username=”burpees4bfast”]
Hedstrom is giving readers 25% off Surge/Kamagon products!! The code is valid from Friday, 1/20 until 2/28. It can be used by anyone in US / Canada.
[bctt tweet=”Get 25% off Surge / Kamagon Products using code: SPHF25!#BuildYourBestBody @hedstrom_fitness #HydroStrong #sweatpink” username=”burpees4bfast”]
Sooooo, what are your weekend plans?! Anything exciting? I don’t have any big plans, other than teaching a class on Sunday. My real plans are to catch up on some blog stuff and get ahead on a few things…while watching Netflix!
Don’t forget to check out the Workout Index for more workouts!
SO, TELL ME:
What are your favorite move in this Surge Strength Complex?
What are you doing this weekend?!