This Burpee Burner Workout will have you sweating in no time. Inspired by one of my favorite songs, this workout has some of my favorite burpee variations!
No Equipment Burpee Burner Workout
This workout was originally published in February 2014. It’s been updated with fresh text and new photos! Enjoy!
Good Morning and Happy Friday!
Y’all it’s been a ruff week! I’ll tell you all about it below, but first – this Burpee Burner Workout. It’s from the archives. When I first started blogging, I was super into INTENSE workouts and doing all the burpees, in every workout. Not so much anymore. I still love a good burpee focused workout, but I know a thing or two about fitness and how to structure a workout.
Since it’s the LOVE month, I decided to search the archives for some of the old blog burpee workouts and give them an update. Next week, I’ll be sharing 2 updated workouts as well. If you want even more burpee action, sign up for the newsletter to get 5 free workouts with different burpee variations (I believe all are bodyweight workouts). If you are already a newsletter subscriber, there will be a link to download the ebook all month long.
Now, I thought it would be fun to leave some of the old text from the original post. This was the final workout that landed me at 1,000 burpees in a month! Yes, crazy. I needed a song to keep me going and burpee variations to keep me engaged. Hope you enjoy!
EYE OF THE TIGER.
One of the best workout songs, in my opinion. This song just makes me feel strong and confident. Like I’m going to kill the workout. The high notes and bass give me that motivation to push it harder.
Honestly, I feel like a badass when I jam to this song during a run or a tabata set. I love it. And, yes, i am listening to it as I write this post…
When I was planning a workout to do my final 100 burpees, it was no surprise I picked this song as my inspiration. Last Friday, I kicked out a morning Nike Training Club workout that incorporated 6 – 1 minute sets of burpees. My kind of workout.
I knocked out just enough, so I only had 100 left to get to 1,000 burpees for february. Saturday, I did the workout below in about 12 minutes. 1,000 burpees complete!
Now, my hope was to have Eye of the Tiger playing during the entire workout, but Spotify kind of failed. I’m telling you, find a way to playthis song for your entire workout. It’ll pump you up and get you through it.
OLD GRAPHIC (thanks PicMonkey)
- A mat
Complete 20 repetitions of each burpee variation and 10 repetitions of non-burpee exercises. Rest when needed.
** Be sure to reference HOW TO DO A BURPEE if you need a refresher.
- STAR BURPEES: At the top of your burpee, when you get ready to jump up, instead jump OUT like a star, spreading arms and legs wide. Land softly back on the ground and repeat your burpee.
- REVERSE LUNGE W/KICK: Stand upright with shoulders back and down, pelvis tucked. Place right foot behind you in a reverse lunge. Tap the ground with your right hand. As you rise up from the lunge, place right foot on the ground, while lifting up your left leg, leaning back slightly and kicking out left leg. Repeat.
- BURPEE w/PUSH-UP: When you lower down from plank position, perform a push-up, rather than touching your chest completely to the ground.
- SUPER(WO)MANS: Stretch arms out in front of you. Actively engage core, glutes, and lower back muscles, as you bring your arms and legs off the ground, row arms, squeeze at the top, and return to start. ** This move is meant to be slow and controlled!
- MT. CLIMBER BURPEE: Complete 4 mt. climbers, from plank position, EITHER, once you get into plank position OR after you come back into plank position from touching your chest to the ground.
- BICYCLES: Lay on back, with pelvis slightly tucked and lower back pressed to the group. Bring hands behind head and elbows out. Knees should be bent at 90 degrees and quads stacked over hips. Keep the 90 degree angle at the hip. Bring left elbow to right knee, as the left leg lowers to the ground. Then, bring right elbow to left knee as the right leg lowers to the ground.
- BURPEE: Standing upright, with shoulders back and down, come into a squat, bringing hands in front of you on the ground. Either step or jump both legs back into a plank position, immediately lowering down, touching chest to ground. Push back up, keeping core contracted, snap hips and jump or step feet back up towards hands, coming back into squat position. Drive through heels and jump up.
- PLANK JACK BURPEE: Complete 4 plank jacks, from plank position, EITHER, once you get into plank position OR after you come back into plank position from touching your chest to the ground. * For an extra burn, complete jack as you lower into a push-up. Complete 4 reps.
Linking up with Wild Workout Wednesday ladies!
No, I have not seen Rocky, I’m just a fan of this song 🙂
So, the week. Over the weekend, I signed up for a class at Shred415 for Wednesday. It was a full body class and I figured I’d be fine to go. Well, Monday, I upped my weight, slightly (but apparently significantly) on my leg day (squats and lunges). Tuesday, I felt sore throughout the day, did an upper body worout, but nothing too bad.
Well, the 24 DOMS hit me on Tuesday night AND I knew the Manner of Women would be coming any day. I was sore Tuesday night. I decided to go to class on Wednesday morning. It was 15 minute, segmented intervals: treadmill, strength, treadmill, strength. Now, taking the soreness I had away, the class was great. Personally, I am not the biggest fan of treadmill intervals, but it changed up enough for me to enjoy it. The strength portion was great and included alot of the moves I do regularly. BUT, toss in the fact that I’m a little extra tired from the Manner of Women AND throw in that by the morning, I was getting to ‘it’s tough to sit on the toilet’ sore from my leg day – I was done by 9am Wednesday. I called off for my Wednesday night class and just relaxed/did work at home. Needless to say, I’ve not worked out since then. Hoping to get back tomorrow at some point for deadlift & back day.
The parents are moving tomorrow and we are helping. I have a class Sunday, set up at church and a consult with a new client. Monday and Tuesday however, I have off from work!!! The Hubs and I are planning to hang out for a bit and do something fun. I’m so looking forward to some time off!
SO, TELL ME:
What are your favorite burpee variations?
What are you up to this weekend?! Do you have a 3 day weekend?