Sharing my gym bag essentials for strength training! From lifting straps to water bottles to a workout journal – I’m sharing my 7 favorites!
Gym Bag Essentials for Strength Training
WELCOME to the Capable & Strong Series!
This series is all about strength training. We will be chatting about things from reasons why women should lift to suggested supplements. And you can expect strength training workouts!
Good Morning and Happy Monday! Ug, Daylight Savings Time – but yay for it being lighter longer at night.
Now, before we get into today’s post, let me answer the questions I’m sure you are waiting to ask:
- Why isn’t my gym bag in the photo? Good question. Thought about it earlier this week, when I was planning the post, but I took the photos 5 minutes before we had to leave for dinner with the in-laws. Didn’t even think about it until later last night when I got home to write this…so.
- Did we just vacuum the floor? Yes, thanks for noticing.
- Why did you take this photo on the carpet? Another good question. I planned to take a photo at the studio today, but I was rushing and forgot half the pieces of equipment. Yes, I have 2 gym bags…one for teaching and one for working out…
- Was it a busy weekend? Uh, yah. I’ll tell you about it below.
Okay, now that we’ve gotten that out of the way, let’s talk gym bag essentials for strength training! I will be sharing strength workouts, don’t worry, but first, my 7 must-haves.
[bctt tweet=”My 7 Gym Bag Essentials for Strength Training #sweatpink @fitapproach #capablestrong” username=”burpees4bfast”]
AfterShokz Trekz Titanium Bluetooth Headphones in Pink
Whew, that was a mouthful. If you remember last fall, I got the opportunity to work with AfterShokz and try out a the Trekz Titanium. I’ve pretty much been obsessed ever since. No cord and no armband needed – meaning they don’t get in the way when you lift. If you haven’t invested in a pair of wireless headphones yet – do it. You won’t be disappointed.
Qalo Silicon Ring
The Hubs and I got a pair of Qalo rings just before we got married. In fact, he only wore his actual wedding ring for the ceremony and then switched to wearing Qalo exclusively. The ring is silicon and comes in a variety of colors. He got me the Teal for my birthday and it glows in the dark! The bar (and kettlebell) will tear up your rings ladies. Rather than take it off an potentially lose it, go for a Qalo. I keep mind in that handy pouch and put my regular ring in when working out.
Gymboss MiniMax Interval Timer
I’d be lost without my MiniMax. In fact, about 2 years ago now (gosh, time flies), I lost my timer and immediately bought a new one. Turns out, I just left it at a client’s house. Now, yes, you can use an interval timer on your phone, but…a freestanding timer is much easier. And pink. Gymboss has a variety of options, but I love the MiniMax because you can do more than 2 intervals. Definitely worth the price.
I got these straps at the start of my lifting journey and honestly didn’t use them much. As I’ve started doing heavier deadlift, the straps have come in handy. Lifting straps are not required, but if you are like me and struggle a bit with grip strength, they can be great for pulling heavier loads. Obviously, I love pink. And so does The Hubs – he loves using them.
Unless you have an amazing memory, it’s likely you’ll need to write down what weight you use for your exercises. How will you know how much you’ve progressed? I use my fitness journal template I shared a few weeks ago. I try to make sure and always do a workout recap – especially when I’m having an off day. My biggest recommendation is to pick a journal that works for you. I’m using a planner right now and it’s only okay. Probably going to switch soon.
Loop Resistance Bands
If you don’t have loop resistance bands in your life yet, what the heck are you waiting for?! If I could recommend 1 piece of equipment that everyone needs, it would be resistance bands. They come in a pack of 4, so it’s technically 1. I use these babies for mobility work, for intensifying bodyweight exercises and for HIIT conditioning workouts. Always in my bag!
Really, a water bottle is with me at all times. At the gym, I usually have a shaker bottle filled with EAA’s and Creatine (we will chat supplements soon!), but the shaker bottle didn’t photograph as well as the Swell. I really do love the Swell though. Stay hydrated, friends.
- Lifting Shoes: If you are SERIOUS about lifting and doing alot of Olympic lifts, then yes, lifting shoes. However, if you just like (or want to) lift heavy shit and do fun workouts, I’d recommend a flat shoe. Lots of people wear Chucks. I love my Nano’s or Nike’s.
- Supplements: Supplements need their own post. Be on the lookout for that soon.
- Chalk: Most gyms are not fans of chalk. At Crossfit the other night, I used chalk for pull-ups and it was life changing! Opt for straps instead of chalk, if your gym does not allow it.
- Weight Belt: Most gyms have a weight belt – mine has a few. For beginner lifters, a weight belt is not necessary. When you get to heavier loads with a squat or deadlift, you can use a belt to help stabilize the core!
[bctt tweet=”What’s in your gym bag for strength training? #capablestrong #sweatpink @fitapproach” username=”burpees4bfast”]
If you are looking for a new strength training program, Mindset2Muscles is
launching in just a couple weeks OFFICIALLY OPEN FOR REGISTRATION!. It’s a 6 Week Strength Training Program that will help YOU build muscle, ditch the negative mindset and gain confidence! There is a beginner & intermediate/advanced option, plus an at-home and gym track.
>>> PURCHASE MINDSET2MUSCLES <<<
[bctt tweet=”Mindset2Muscles is open for registration! http://bit.ly/M2MOfficial ” username=”burpees4bfast”]
Miss a post in the Capable & Strong Series?
Disclaimer: This post does contain Amazon Affiliate Links. I might receive some compensation.
How was your weekend?! Guys, it was so busy! Friday, we had sushi bowls and I took it easy – watched Suits. Saturday, I went to the gym, made a smoothie and spent the entire afternoon / evening working on Mindset2Muscles stuff. The Hubs made me take a break for an hour to shop for a new toy for Oscar. And we took a break to grab ice cream! Sunday was jam packed with class, work, dinner with the in-laws, more work and food prep. We have a TON of food for the week, which is awesome.
It’s going to be a busy week, but this girl is ready for it!
Don’t forget, if you want me to cover specific topics related to strength training, drop me a comment or shoot me an email!
SO, TELL ME:
What are your strength training gym bag essentials?
What did you do this weekend?!