For strong, lean legs, you need this Lean Legs Workout in your life! All you’ll need is a dumbbell and a bench or box.
Lean Legs Workout
Good Morning and Happy Monday!
We are kicking the week off with my favorite: LEG DAY! This Lean Legs Workout is actually the main workout I did last Monday for my leg day and it left my quads sore for days!
Now that’s nearly fall, I’m getting back into lifting for my workouts and I’ve missed it so much! I tacked on 4 sets of barbell squats to box before this workout. I used to love squats, but lately, they are one of my least favorites. I’m hoping I can turn that around in the next few weeks!
Sissy squats have been one of my favorites lately. I got a question on Instagram about why my heels were propped up on plates. By putting the heels on plates, it makes the move more quad dominant and allows you to get deeper into the squat.
Bulgarian Split Squats are a doozy of a move, no matter how many times I do them. I love any workout that includes a hip hinge and those side lunges target the inner thighs!
[bctt tweet=”Lean Legs Workout is up #OTB! #sweatpink #legday” username=”burpees4bfast”]
Related: Thighs and Butt EMOM Workout
- dumbbells (heavy, but mid-weight & heavy would work!)
- box / bench / step
Move through the workout based on RX reps. Complete 3 rounds, resting when needed. Increase weight with each rep decrease. REP SCHEME: 15 (1st round), 12 (2nd round), 10 (3rd round)
Sub a barbell or do use bodyweight.
- SISSY SQUATS: With heels on dumbbells or a small elevated surface, stand with shoulders back and down, pelvis tucked, glutes tight and dumbbell at chest, lower into a squat. Drive through heels and engage quads to stand.
- BULGARIAN SPLIT SQUAT: Place one left foot on box or step and move right leg in front of you so that when you perform the lunge/squat, your front knee comes to 90 degrees. You might need to readjust a few times. Weight are optional here. Shoulders back and down, pelvis slightly tucked. Drive through the front heel, squeeze glute, lower into a lunge and then stand.
- ROMANIAN DEADLIFT: With dumbbells in hand, stand with feet hip width apart, shoulders back and down (think putting them in your back pocket) and lats engaged (think about having an orange under each armpit). Pelvis slightly tucked and core muscles engaged (breathe in, the out, squeezing abdominals together). With knees slightly bent, hinge at the hips, sticking your butt back, keeping knees slightly bent and back as straight as possible. Stop when you feel tension in your hamstrings – you might NOT get your back to parallel. Drive through heels and squeeze glutes as you stand.
- SIDE LUNGES: Perform a side lunge by moving one foot out to the side, parallel with the right food. Grounding through heel, stick butt back, keeping chest lifted. Push off heel and return to start.
- CALF RAISES: Stand with shoulders back and down, pelvis tucked, glutes tight and dumbbell at chest. Raise up on your toes, engaging the calves, squeezing glutes at the top.
[bctt tweet=”Can’t wait to try this Lean Legs Workout ! #sweatpink @fitapproach” username=”burpees4bfast”]
How was your weekend?! Friday was The Hubs’ birthday. I had my Toastmasters meeting in the morning and got my oil changed before coming home to give him is presents. I ended up giving him the Ninja pants early because I figured he knew. BUT, it turned out he was surprised! WOo! We had a full day of shopping and family time. We had dinner with his parents and 1 slice of ice cream cake later, I was out sick for the night! Saturday, we went grocery shopping before getting sushi and then doing more shopping. I got the pair of shoes I’m wearing in the photos for $13!!! Such a steal! Sunday, I taught a class at Athleta and had a few calls, before doing a bit of food prep and planning my week!
SO, TELL ME:
What moves would you add to a lean legs workout?!
What did you do this weekend?!