I’m so glad you are here!
I’m Jen and I help women fit healthy living into their everyday life. I love educating, equipping and inspiring women with simple, smart and sustainable solutions for healthy living.
I wear many hats (or, sometimes headbands!): I’m a Wellness & Nutrition Coach, Certified Personal Trainer, Group Fitness Instructor, Blogger, Dog Mom, Wife, Aspiring Hand Lettering Master, Jesus Lover and #girlboss.
I’m a huge fan of cold brew coffee, warm lemon water, deadlifting, New Girl and going on walks with my husband Kris and fur child, Oscar.
Burpees for Breakfast started in late 2013 as a way for me to share recipes during a 3 month candida detox. It quickly turned into an outlet to share not only recipes, but workouts. Today, it’s evolved into a space that discusses everything from workouts, to recipes, to mindset, stress management, being a #girlboss and more!
What you can find on Burpees for Breakfast
FITNESS TOPICS // WORKOUTS // NUTRITION TALK // HEALTHY RECIPES // SELF CARE TIPS // STRESS MANAGEMENT TECHNIQUES // GIRLBOSS TALK // LIFE MUSINGS … and more.
My Approach to Fitness
When I first started working out, I never wanted to miss a day. I loved movement and the way it made me feel. I started my fitness journey by running. It quickly evolved into a more HIIT workout focus. I bet my now-husband, that I would try lifting heavy weights for a couple months before I decided I didn’t like it. To my surprise, I fell in love.
I believe in moving your body, everyday. That doesn’t mean intense workouts, it just means movement. I believe it’s important to find movement your body loves…or else you won’t want to do it. Body’s are all different and respond to different forms of fitness in differnet ways. Find what fits you.
In my fitness business, I focus on high intensity interval training and weight lifting. Personally, I’m not a fan of long cardio sessions, so I don’t do them in my business. You can get in a solid workout, in 20 minutes, if you know how to work the right muscle groups and attack with the proper intensity. Readers can find a variety of workouts on the blog that incorporate these principles.
Visit the WORKOUT Archives.
My Food Philosophy
You can read all about my approach to nutrition, where I share my 3 year journey to heal my gut. Over those 3 years, my view of food has changed many times. I believe food is fuel. I believe certain foods work well with certain people and I believe certain foods do not. I believe that local, organic, grass-fed products are best. I like to know where my food comes from and how it was treated. Pesticides, GMO’s, hormone laden food is not my style.
I’ve found that gluten, dairy and soy do not make my body feel it’s best. That doesn’t mean I don’t indulge every now and then in a doughnut or cookie, but I own that choice. My body feels best when it’s fueled by homemade food – lots of veggies, starchy carbs and quality meats. And I don’t like labeling food good or bad.
I’m a fan of delicious, quality foods. I go through phases where I love cooking and phases where it’s not my favorite. But, I love talking all things nutrition and digestion, most of all!
Some of my favorite Nutrition posts
- 5 Reasons to Ditch Cheat Days
- Stop Labeling Food Good or Bad
- 3 Tips for Incorporating Veggies Into Every Meal
I’m a firm believer in self-care, stress management and knowing yourself. I also believe in a holistic approach to wellness and incorporate this into my blog and wellness business.
Currently, I work full time in Corporate Wellness, after taking a step back from running Burpees for Breakfast Fitness (& Nutrition) full time. I’ve been married to my best friend for almost 2 years, after meeting in 2010 when we walked down the isle together at our friends wedding! Cheesy Hallmark Movie, seriously! We welcomed our fur child Oscar in July 2016. He’s a Basset Hound/Australian Shephard mix, with two different color eyes. Oscar loves walks, peanut butter, getting hair all over our house and doesn’t bark!
A few tidbits about me:
- I drink warm lemon water with collagen peptides every morning…unless I forget to buy lemons at the store!
- Pancakes are my favorite breakfast meal.
- Breakfast is my favorite meal of the day.
- I love fall and Christmastime, but I loate cold weather. Winter and I are not friends.
- I’ve given up coffee MANY times, but I always come back to it. I don’t even need it for the caffiene anymore. I love it for the comfort.
- I have 5 BFF’s from college and we call ourselves The Thugs. You might see them in this space from time to time.
- I have a relationship with Jesus. I grew up in the church and went to a Christian college. It wasn’t until after college that I really felt like I experienced what the relationship was like.
- Orange and Gold are my favorite colors.
NEW HERE? READ SOME OF MY FAVORITE POSTS
- Observations on Feeding My Husband
- What Happens If I Don’t?
- 10 Tips Every GirlBoss Can Learn from Fixer Upper
- 5 Tips for An Aspiring Girlboss
- My Top Wellness Tip You Need to Start Doing Today
- Dear Tracy Anderson, Can We Chat?
- 3 Ways to Structure Your Next Strength Training Workout
- The Benfits of Interval Training
CREDENTIALS: Precision Nutrition Sports & Exercise Coach // NASM Certified Personal Trainer // AAFA Group Fitness Instructor // Keiser Spin Instructor
WORK WITH ME: Check out the Work with Me tab & drop downs or email me: jena [at] burpeesforbreakfast.com
BURPEES FOR BREAKFAST SQUAD: The Burpees for Breakfast Squad is a community – a Squad – of health-minded women that love chatting nutrition, fitness, self-care, mindset and more! We check in daily, ask questions, provide value, give & receive support and encouragement. JOIN THE SQUAD!